Week 1: From Here to There

• Ce sujet contient 15 réponses, 6 participants et a été mis à jour pour la dernière fois par , le août 8, 2020 at 2:51 .
Vous lisez 6 fils de discussion
  • Auteur
      amanda@cafo.org
      CAFO Staff

Why are you taking this course and what is your dream for foster care in your county?

amanda@cafo.org
      CAFO Staff

Hello Everyone! My name is Amanda and I am helping to facilitate this course.  I am a former foster/current adoptive mom. I have 3 kids aged 9, 7, and 2. We were ‘that family’ that started out wanting to just adopt one younger child. We had no idea what foster care even looked like or the immense need for families until a friend in our ‘foster/adopt’ small group helped show us. We then jumped in with older kids and sibling groups! 🙂

My husband and I just moved to an old farmhouse and everyone in the family (except for me)is campaigning for miniature horses, miniature donkeys, or alpacas! My husband works with former inmates and connects them with the services they need to succeed outside of the jail. Our new county currently has more churches than children in care and I believe that more than enough can be achieved in our county.

Will Prusia
        Participant

Hello, Amanda! Thanks for your leadership. I am looking forward to connecting with you, Jason Weber and the others in Cohort 5.

Will Prusia
      Participant

Hello, I am Will Prusia from Bellevue, Nebraska. I am the National Director of Camps for Teen Reach, located in Sherwood, OR. Teen Reach is a faith-based organization which provides camps and mentoring programs for teens residing in foster care. We currently have programs in 21 states, which will provide nearly 90 camps in 2020.

I have been connected to foster youth through Teen Reach, Royal Family Kids and as a foster parent for more than a decade. I work with the junior high ministry at our just and was also a middle school teacher. In these latter two roles I have encountered foster youth, sometimes without a complete awareness of their situation.

I have two reasons for taking this course, the first is to understand how I can facilitate the development of our church foster care ministry to address the need in our community/county. The dream with this is that there would be more than enough to address the foster care crisis in our community/county. The second reason is to understand how the ministry of Teen Reach can better partner with others, across the country, as an on-ramp to bringing others closer to foster care.

I am married and have three children and a new daughter-in-law. I also have two “adopted” daughters who spent time in our home just before leaving the foster care system. My bride, Angela, is an author and writes young adult fiction as well as some freelance writing. Angela is also the National Director of T.R.A.C.life, the mentoring program at Teen Reach. As a family we enjoy the outdoors, especially camping and kayaking. I am a cycling enthusiast and enjoy leading cycling classes, riding with a group of men from church and, most importantly, riding a tandem bicycle with My Bride.

I look forward to getting to know all of you.

amanda@cafo.org
        CAFO Staff

A bicycle built for two! That always looked sweet…and dangerous. My husband and I are great partners in many ways, but I just don’t see our co-coordination being top notch!

Angela Maria Malerba
        Participant

Will – I would love some tips on what to purchase for my first kayak. I live ocean-side but haven’t known where to start! I took a boating safety class but don’t fish or boat – Kayaking is the way to go for me – otherwise I’ll have to look into a self-pedal pontoon!

Meaghan Koci
      Participant

Hello All!

My husband and I have been foster parents in Wichita, KS for five years. We have two children, age 9 and 6. We have been working with professionals and churches in our area to provide support and resources for foster families, as well as supporting bio families. Looking forward to learning more and working with all of you!

amanda@cafo.org
        CAFO Staff

I also have a 9 and 6 year old (and a 2 year old!), I am curious, if these are foster children how is the state navigating learn at home/digital options vs. in person? Who gets to choose and are there any guidelines?

Meaghan Koci
        Participant

Our foster is 19 months old, so we are basically the same. <3

I have been even more concerned about kids in care in our county since March, as our school district reported that only 30% of kids ever logged into online learning a single time over the six or so weeks of virtual school before summer.

Our governor just pushed back the start date of school to after Labor Day and most school are offering virtual, hybrid and in-person classes (at least for now) so hopefully we are able to gather up those kids who fell through the cracks in the spring and get them back in school, one way or the other.

Kim Eylar-Sanchez
      Participant

Hello! My name is Kim Eylar-Sanchez and I am a Foster/Adoptive Parent Recruiter in Tyler, Texas.

My dream for Foster Care in my county is that we will have more than enough « quality » foster parents so that we will no longer have children sleeping at the CPS offices and have kids waiting on the TARE website for their forever families. I dream that we will be able to spread the message far and wide, and that people will respond to the call to action. I hope that this will become a staple issue in the churches, and that we can tackle over-crowded prisons, homelessness, drug abuse and teen births at the root cause.

Thank you for including me in your course!

amanda@cafo.org
        CAFO Staff

Kim, my husband works in re-entry services and connecting former inmates with the services they need to thrive and not return to jail. He and I often comment on how the populations we serve overlap. I would love to see providing more than enough for children and families in every county simultaneously reduce the need for jails and shelters too! Thats an amazing dream.

Matt Parker
      Participant

Sorry I’ve missed the first 2 weeks, we are starting a transition and life has been hectic the last few weeks. and will remain chaotic for the foreseeable future!

Here are my about me’s:
      Matt Parker, Arkadelphia, AR
      I am a student Pastor at Second Baptist Church, Arkadelphia, AR, been here for 7 years

My wife and I have 4 home grown kids ages 8-16, #2 adopted at 2 months old. We’ve been an open foster home for 4 years, during which time we’ve had 17 kids through our home. Currently we have 3: a 4 month old we’ve had since he came home from the hospital and part of a sibling group, 2 girls ages 3 and 5. The girls came into care 2 days before Arkansas shut down for the COVID!

My wife is the county coordinator for Clark County CALL and I am the church partnership coordinator. We took on a pretty inactive team and we’re trying to do a sort of relaunch of the efforts here. The Covid shutdown has made things difficult, but we’re starting to build some interest in moving forward again.

We’re really interested in new ideas for building a community around the Foster families in our area.

So. There you go!

amanda@cafo.org
        CAFO Staff

Matt, you have an amazing amount of things going on! 2 days before COVID shut down the world taking in a new placement! Thanks for all the work you and your wife are doing and sharing your knowledge with us!

Angela Maria Malerba
      Participant

Hello All – I’m a bit late to the forums but hope to catch up in the coming days. My name is Angela Maria – East Coast born-n-raised (CT specifically) – taking this course after nearly a decade of foster-adopt being laid on my heart. I never knew quite how I fit in until late last year when all things aligned so I attended my second open house and jumped in to connect with others in my church community by leading a small group, SAFE: Sharing Adoption + Foster Experiences, while awaiting approval for TIPS-MAPP (pre-license) training. We were set to start in March the week COVID quarantined us and now, approaching September, we will be moving forward with online training . . . which leads me to why I’m taking this course and what I envision for New Haven County. I imagine SAFE growing into an MTE ministry under Vertical Church’s (West Haven) umbrella, becoming the go-to ministry / starting point for families and individuals interested in « doing something » towards the effort. Our church has the space physically, spiritually, and relationally to make a great impact, members just need to be directed to the right jump-off point to get started and I hope to implement all that we’re learning here in order to make that happen. Beyond my role as a servant-leader, my primary focus is to become a Foster Mama.

Meaghan Koci
        Participant

@Angela, my son was born in Groton, CT! We lived there for a year. Well, technically he was born across the river in New London since that’s where the hospital is… 😉

Angela Maria Malerba
        Participant

Meghan – that is amazing . . . small world as they say. Groton has a big military presence – not sure if you’ve mentioned –  was someone in your family enlisted at the time? Even though I’ve always lived here, I’m often surprised when I find others who’ve lived here for a time – it seems like a state that a lot of folks pass through.

Vous lisez 6 fils de discussion
  • Vous devez être connecté pour répondre à ce sujet.