From Here to There

• Ce sujet contient 17 réponses, 7 participants et a été mis à jour pour la dernière fois par , le juillet 2, 2020 at 5:15 .
Vous lisez 10 fils de discussion
  • Auteur
      amanda@cafo.org
      CAFO Staff

Why are you taking this course and what is your dream for foster care in your county?

Kaari Vasquez
      Participant

Hello! I am taking this course as a foster parent in order to learn ways that I can best advocate for positive change in the foster care system here in Texas. My dream is for positive relationships between birth and foster families to be encouraged, for healthy transitions to be accepted as best practice for children, and for foster families to be viewed and treated as providing a family for a child versus us being viewed and treated as though this is a job for us.

amanda@cafo.org
        CAFO Staff

Kaari, sorry I can’t remember, how long have you been a foster parent?

Kristen Gladney
      Participant

I’m taking this course to build better relationships in my community so we can make an impact together. Being part of Foster Care and Adoption is a passion that evolved from a personal calling to a professional calling by taking one step at a time. My dream is for each of us to be willing to do whatever « thing » God is asking us to do, no matter how hard or impossible it may initially seem. Obedience to God is an adventure, and He never calls us to do something that He isn’t willing to join us in.

amanda@cafo.org
        CAFO Staff

When we became foster parents I got a lot of (well-intentioned) concern from people for my biological daughter. But what my husband and I told ourselves, and them, is that following Jesus was never promised to be easy, but it is promised to be good and right. We wanted our biological children to know that and it is something that I have to constantly remind myself – I love how you phrased it. ‘Obedience to God is an adventure!’ Yes!

Brad McDaniel
      Participant

We have been working in this ministry space and simply want to continue to learn, grow, be challenged and challenge others…until there’s More than Enough

amanda@cafo.org
      CAFO Staff

Hello All! My name is Amanda Baird and you briefly met me on the call today! I have been working with Jason for just over a year, before that I was a Kindergarten teacher (the topics in this course are a little more fun than Kindergarten!), and before that I went to Georgia Tech and wanted to be a doctor. Life has taken a few turns, but all good! My husband and I are former foster parents, current adoptive & biological parents, and we have three great kids. We are about to move to a small farm and my kids are advocating that we adopt a few miniature donkeys!

My job is to help equip people like you to achieve more than enough in your county and community, but my dream is to see more than enough in every county in the country, including my small town in Georgia.

Giovanni Beegen
      Participant

Hello, i am taking this course to further my knowledge. My parents just recently fostered and i think that this course will help me understand the situation better. My goal is to become part of law enforcement so taking this course i believe will give me insight on what i should expect in my future.

amanda@cafo.org
        CAFO Staff

Hey Giovanni! Reading this I just remembered that I promised to connect you with my husband! He works in re-entry services in our county, helping inmates re-enter into society with the resources they need to succeed. I know the image of law enforcement has been under scrutiny and criticism lately, but I personally see how much law enforcement can and is on the front lines of serving those in our community who are the most vulnerable and in need. So many inmates have children in care, whether that is kinship or foster care, and the statistics for former foster children ending up incarcerated are very disheartening. I am glad you are in this class, and I hope that the things you learn will inform your future career!

Esther McDaniel
      Participant

Aloha, I’m taking this course as a foster parent and a lead service provider in my county and state.  I truly believe that Hawaii will be the next state to have more than enough before, during and beyond foster care.  Harvest Family Life Ministries Hawaii has already adopted MTE as its 5 year strategic plan for the organization.  This course will help me be more equipped for my role.

Kristen Gladney
        Participant

Hi Esther, that’s wonderful! Do you happen to know Gaye Drummond? I meet her recently here in the DFW area and she shared they had been a part of an adoption ministry in Hawaii.

Esther McDaniel
        Participant

Aloha Kristen, Yes, Brad and I know her and her husband, Bob!  They were leaders of New Hope for Orphans when they lived in Honolulu.  We would get together from time to time for prayer and fellowship 🙂  Such a small, connected world.

Rachel McDaniel
      Participant

Hi I am taking this class as a intern with Harvest Family Life and a young adult who has many siblings all over because of foster care.  My family has been licensed since I was little.  My heart for children has been growing since then.  I just graduated with a BA in Human Services-Social Work and am pursuing my Master’s in Counseling.  This course will be another source of education to help guide me to my future career.

amanda@cafo.org
        CAFO Staff

I love to see our Hawaii group each week. You all live in one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen, but I know that there are struggles for children there just as in (the less beautiful) Georgia where I am!

Kaari Vasquez
      Participant

Hi Amanda! My husband and I began fostering in the state of VA back in 2007 and continued until 2016. We just started fostering again here in TX in 2019:). When God called us to fostering initially, He was very clear that we were to be a part of helping Him restore families. It has been a gift to see Him at work over the years! How long has your family been fostering?

amanda@cafo.org
        CAFO Staff

Kaari, We are not currently fostering. We were foster parents for 4 years but when we adopted one of our children they needed a quiet place to land for a bit. We closed our home and now that we are a few more years down the road we are hoping to become a mentor family to a young adult who has aged out of care. We are just waiting to be matched! (Our new home is a lot closer to a few colleges so I am hoping that helps us match with someone who needs a close place on weekends/holidays/in need of a tire change etc…)

Kaari Vasquez
      Participant

So amazing to read of the connections God makes across state lines!

Kaari Vasquez
      Participant

Becoming a mentor family is a wonderful idea! Especially given your location near a college. Praying for God to prepare you and the young adult He will place in your life/family.

Vous lisez 10 fils de discussion
  • Vous devez être connecté pour répondre à ce sujet.