Week 4:Three Key Ingredients

More Than Enough Essentials Fall 2020 Week 4:Three Key Ingredients

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      [email protected]
      CAFO Staff

Share one insight or “aha!” moment you’ve had this week in each of these three areas:

Prayer
      Vision
      Unity

Tina Jones
      Participant

I realized I’m not going to start moving until I’ve saturated this in prayer (and then continued praying with others).  And even then, I’m looking to see God “moving in the hearts of people” (Ch 6). And this cannot happen no matter how hard I push or try or exhaust everyone around me.  Instead, He will get the glory for doing the transformations that only He can do and I will get a front row seat!

Maren Vallerand
      Participant

This week’s material was a refreshing reminder to return to the foot of the Cross, to the one who holds the world and alllllll the children in His hands. The one who casts the best vision and who enables the most meaningful unity.

When thinking about Prayer, Vision, and Unity, I was reflecting on how often with big vision I get so expectant about what’s possible and so focused on the work that I don’t prioritize continued, foundational prayer. This can lead to taking more control (and credit). Lord help me!

I really loved the charge to pray for big, unlikely things–not only to marvel at God’s power when prayers are answered, but also to know we could not possibly orchestrate such miracles of our own volition.

Jason Grewe
      Participant

My aha moment is asking, Am I even having the conversation?

Going back to the “everyone can do something” when Moses was involving everyone in the building of the tabernacle – even the perfumers… but where did Moses learn that?

Exodus 4, God said to Moses, “what is that in your hand – a staff”. Moses learned that God could use “whatever it is that you have”. And then Moses applied it later with the building of the tabernacle.

That is something God has wired me to be able to do – to connect all the “whatever’s” that people have… but my catch is – am I even having the conversation with God.

God ASKED Moses – what is in your hand. There was a conversation taking place because of the burning bush. Moses didn’t ignore it. He engaged in the conversation. So many times, I (and likely others) see something that God may want to do, and we may have even become accustomed to what God has used in the past (a staff), but we don’t engage in the conversation with God (prayer).

Jamie Bleakley
      Participant

I found the guide insightful for all of the areas that prayer is called for. I tend to forget to pray beyond the current situation (the child, parents, upcoming court decisions, etc).

[email protected]
        CAFO Staff

Excellent point- my husband is a police officer and I often forget that his work is so often intertwined with mine and that his interactions with vulnerable children and families should be covered in prayer too!

Chris Schutter
      Participant

We began this adventure with months of prayer….then God really started to move! This was an excellent reminder that prayer is the foundation, not an after thought.

I believe we have the vision and will be praying to share and articulate it with every opportunity.

The thing we are in most need of now is buy in from the broader community.  Our church leadership and congregation have responded very positively to the opportunities we have presented so far.  We will be praying 🙂 that He will bring other like-minded believers from other churches together until we have More that enough!

Tina Jones
      Participant

Ok, so it already happened.  I was lamenting that I had not planned our annual Orphan Sunday event amid everything else that’s going on. And then I sat and listened.  I felt God telling me we needed to pray – as in the church needed to pray.  I had just come from our class and read through the prayer guide the day before.  But, as I’ve listened more, I sense our one day of Orphan Sunday is instead supposed to be a month of prayer this year.  We will use the prompts from the prayer guide to share with our congregation. This will be educational for them and will also cover a lot of people in prayer!

[email protected]
        CAFO Staff

Tina, I hope you share this on the upcoming call! I love this. I think Orphan Sunday is not a prescribed one day event that you implement a certain way- but an invitation to join in caring for the children and families in your community. And a month of intentional prayer sounds like a PERFECT way to do that. Please let me know if I can help you in any way.

Ryan Keith
        Participant

Love this, Tina. We decided to do a few prayer prompts, too, over a period of time. Encouraging people to digest them and pray with a friend, rather than another Zoom event or anything remotely like what we’ve done in the past. Amidst the chaos, prayer is helpful and sadly not something I’m always prone to do first. Praying it goes well! Thanks for sharing.

Meg Scott
      Participant

My AHA moment was looking through the prayer guide and realizing that even though we work for a Christian organization, I get caught up in the here and now and how can I fix it, solve it, get it done, that forget to take time to pray first (sorry excuse).  I was reminded that to PRAY and wait on God.

[email protected]
      Participant

One of my biggest “aha!” moment was with vision, which could also lead into unity. I believe working in a private placing agency, I see our vision for foster care but we too have to follow the vision of our state for foster care, which do not always aline. We are starting to see a more united vision with private agencies and the state through monthly phone calls and building a plan together. I throughly enjoyed the specific examples in chapter six, that state your vision to others because it can always be extended to ask for unity in some way. And if your audience cannot help with the vision or unity of foster care, they can pray for the children, families, workers and others involved in the foster care movement.

[email protected]
      CAFO Staff

I love this week’s materials because time and time again, even though I know I need to be spending time with the God of justice, I so easily let prayer and intentional quiet time slip away and instead work and work and focus on the ‘things’ and not God. I see God’s blessing and gifts from time spent in prayer and yet I can’t seem to hold onto it without having folks constantly help point me back. I am the reason God repeats things 700 times in scripture –

I also love reflecting on the concept of unity as well. Filtering my work and plans through that lens- and knowing that how we do things is just as key as what we are doing. It takes time to collaborate, to be kind, to engage – and I sometimes need the reminder to choose to spend my time that way.

Ryan Keith
        Participant

I echo that! I need the repeats over and over! I am both sad I need that, but also deeply grateful scripture is gracious to remind me over and over.

[email protected]
      Participant

I love the story of how God answered prayer in providing more than enough families for that community. We talk about prayer, and it is such a great reminder to see how God is answering prayers. These are great moments to talk about and celebrate.

Ryan Keith
      Participant

I missed this. Sorry! I’ve been thinking about the link between vision and unity; giving our local community a unity of vision that there’s more than enough. They are linked so significantly because the Church has this vision for bringing all people into relationship with Christ and helping people see that, though they may be separated from God, He is pursuing them now and pursued them all the way to dying on the cross for them so they can have eternity with Him and thrive on earth.

All of these kids without a family or need a safe place to be; or all the caregivers or bio parents going through hard things… God is pursuing them and pursued them all the way to the cross. Foster care is very much correlated to the Gospel. We don’t need to make that vision too complicated, as the Church is supposed to be unified in the same vision. Foster care is an expression of the Gospel; not just an issue facing us that we can step into or walk by to choose another also “good thing” to do. It’s a mandate; an expression of unified truth about who God is and His eternal love for us.

In all my planning, I can sometimes make things too complicated, but I’ve been thinking about this simple link between vision and unity with the truths that have always given unity and vision to the Church.

Julia DesCarpentrie
      Participant

A couple of years ago our team had discussed gathering local partners in the child welfare realm to ‘dive deep’ in understanding their mission and work and discuss how we can collaborate.  This week has been an encouragement to take the next step to unite our organizations and schedule a meeting!

[email protected]
        CAFO Staff

I am behind on forum posts, but I love this posture of listening! Asking child welfare to give you guys a deep dive is a great idea.

Daina Davis
      Participant

Specific and strategic prayer has been the key to unlocking every next step for what we carry with our church. Something I’ve been consistently reminded of lately is to step back and give room for others to step in and then walk alongside them. Also not trying to take it all on with my own strength, but rather give plenty of room for God to move. I’ve been praying for the right people to be drawn to loving and supporting children and families and not be afraid or discouraged to stand up in any way they can. Discipling and is such a huge part of the vision and creates unity within the groups of people walking alongside eachother on the journey. “A cord of three strands is not easily broken”

Deborah West
      Participant

I desperately needed the reminder of prayer being #1! My natural tendency is to problem-solve and then to ask God to bless the solution I came up with. Totally backwards of how it should be, especially knowing I can’t do anything in my own strength!

[email protected]
        CAFO Staff

I can relate to this! I don’t even like telling others about a problem I have noticed until I have come up with possible solutions!

[email protected]
      Participant

I think I accidentally missed replying to the commitment question.

My response is, I commit to work on getting a set meeting schedule with our young church foster/adopt support group.  We need to be planning something monthly which will require us to meet at least monthly with ideas of how to support and reach out to others.

Jamie Bleakley
      Participant

I am horrible with actually getting on the computer to be able to participate in the forums so this is my apology for the backlog of input. My AHA! was praying for all the players.  I can’t image not praying prior to accepting placement or during the court proceedings, for the families involved but I have bypassed all the other players that I frequently do not have direct contact with. As for vision, I am on a personal level am in a level of hurt for the system and lack of common sense for the well-being of the child being masked behind “procedure” that I struggle with the vision of complete reform. I am so grateful to have some amazing visionaries that I am taking this journey with because I am at a point of “if we could only….” which, don’t get me wrong would be huge improvements but the ideas that the men I am working with have is well beyond that and very exciting.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.