Module Six: Foster Care

OVC Essentials Fall 2021 Module Six: Foster Care

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Leah St. Pierre
      CAFO Staff

Reflect on the complex stories and experiences of foster care you heard about in the content this week and how examples like these inform your vision for your personal or community involvement. How do you feel that you and/or your church community could begin to more intentionally engage the foster care community in your area? Is there a particular way that God may be calling you to respond to this week’s lesson?

Sarah Alfieri
      Participant

This week was filled with so many stories of heartbreak and hope. A takeaway I had when listening to all these stories is that as Christians, we are called to love and to love deeply. “Every child is just one caring adult away from being a success story.” Hearing that, I felt convicted to be more involved in the lives of hurting children in my community. They need someone who will love them, and walk with them through the many obstacles they are facing in life. It doesn’t take multiple degrees or a perfect plan- it simply takes an imperfect person who is willing and passionate about loving a child unconditionally and doing what needs to be done to help them and give them hope.

In my own life, I have seen many churches talk frequently about adoption and mission work (both of which are amazing and I am passionate about them), but often we don’t hear much about foster care. There is a real need for the church to step up and love these children- even if it is only for a short time. Some ways I think my church and myself could be more intentional about engaging with foster care are: spreading information about what it looks like to be a foster parent, ways to support foster parents, and ways to help mentor and invest in children even if you can’t be a full-time foster parent. Other ways could include: raising funds for foster care families, holding information events for those interested, and providing fun outlets for foster parents to bring the children to at the church.

There are so many things I am trying to process from this week’s content, but one way that I want to respond to what God is laying on my heart is to live with my heart, home, and hands more open. Whether this is loving on a foster family or becoming a foster family. Whether this is buying a kid lunch that I see on the street corner, or helping out a family in need. I want to keep my eyes peeled with opportunities to invest in children’s lives and to love them and their families well- whatever that looks like.

Meredith Smylie
        Participant

Sarah, I really appreciate the spectrum of ways to help in foster care that you listed! Truly everyone can do something and I think those are prime examples!

Meredith Smylie
      Participant

I think because I work in foster care as an administrator, it can sometimes be easy for me to get wrapped up in to the tasks of it, and not focus as much on the relational aspect of it. We have learned though that relationships are the key to healing! I want to be more intentional about connecting with the kids who are in foster care and proximate to me, and not just get caught up in the daily grind. I also see a movement within the Church toward community involvement since the beginning of COVID, and I think encouraging Christians to get involved in foster care locally is a great way that we as believers can get plugged into orphan care within our communities. I want to help spread the world about what involvement can look like, and I am excited about the transformations we could see with even small changes! I also am looking for ways that I can contribute to the mission that are specific to my skill set. I am very drawn to using outcomes to inform orphan care, which also increases accountability in what can be a very broken system.

Tiffany Edison
      Participant

I really appreciated how this week’s lesson really spelled out multiple different ways someone can engage in foster care, without having to actually foster.  That was always hard for me to swallow.  My personality is already pre-dispositioned to a low-threshold for stress, and I already am both a bio-mom and an adoptive-mom.  Therefore my stress is constantly high, and just don’t believe I have the capacity to be a foster parent too, so I struggled with feeling guilty about that because I wasn’t wanting to be a foster parent honestly.  I have a tendency to want to fix all of the worlds problems, which isn’t a bad thing, but it’s also a too-big thing (I mean, come on…why do I do this to myself? hahaha).  This really opened up the idea that sure, not everyone needs to be a foster parent, but EVERYONE can actually do SOMETHING–and it not just be a cop-out phrase.  I really resonate with the story of the Kansas BBQ restaurant.  So now I want to find what I can do well that can contribute to foster families.  Still not 100% sure what that would be yet, but it’s been spinning in my head now for a few weeks already, so yay!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.